Introducing Network and Application Performance Monitoring – the new equation for faster problem-solving
Organisations are increasingly dependent on the performance of their business applications – which, in turn, depend on the performance of their network infrastructure. 비즈니스를 부드럽게 진행해 가기 위해, 어플리케이션 및 네트워크의 성능은 둘 다 최고 수준으로 관리되어야 합니다.
전통적인 접근 방식은 각기 다른 시스템이 각기 다른 팀에 의해 구동되면서, 네트워크 및 어플리케이션 성능을 별도로 감시해 왔습니다. However, this is becoming more difficult as virtualisation extends from the data centre to the desktop and the use of cloud services continues to grow. 하이브리드 클라우드 환경에서 어플리케이션 문제가 발생하면, 조직들은 그 문제가 자신들의 인프라에 있는지 아니면 클라우드 제공업체에 있는지 어떻게 결정할 수 있습니까? Trying to work out who owns a problem when all groups are reporting green KPIs is increasingly difficult and time-consuming.
A recent survey* of network professionals conducted by NETSCOUT indicated that more than half do not have the tools they need to quickly and accurately identify issues with VoIP, applications and other network performance issues. Organisations need end-to-end visibility across layers 1-7, from the data centre to the branch office, if they are to identify the source of any performance problems quickly and solve them before incurring costly downtime.
네트워크 및 어플리케이션 성능 모니터링 솔루션: Network and Application Performance Monitoring, which is also referred to as Network Performance Monitoring and Diagnostics (NPMD).
네트워크 및 어플리케이션 성능 모니터링은 모니터링, 분석 및 네트워크 및 어플리케이션 문제 해결 방법입니다. It takes an application-centric view of everything happening across the network, providing end-to-end visibility of the network and applications and their interdependencies, and enabling engineers to monitor and optimise the end user experience. 코드화 관점에서 어플리케이션을 보는 것이며, 이들이 어떻게 구축되고 어떻게 수행되는지를 보는 것입니다.
어플리케이션 및 네트워크 성능 방법론에서 데이터 포인트를 활용하여 네트워크 및 어플리케이션 성능 모니터링은 어플리케이션 및 네트워크의 최적의 성능을 보장 하기 위해 함께 작업하는 IT의 모든 지점을 도와줍니다. 엔지니어들이 가상화, BYOD, 클라우드 기반 서비스로 인해 제기된 가시성 문제를 극복할 수 있게 해주며 네트워크 경로 중 어디에 문제가 존재하든 이를 식별할 수 있게 해줍니다. 어플리케이션 성능 데이터를 제공하여, 사용자가 좋지 못한 반응 시간을 경험하는 시기가 언제이며, 어느 어플리케이션 구성 요소가 지연을 야기하는지 파악할 수 있습니다. 이러한 조치 가능한 성능 데이터는 어플리케이션 팀과 공유되어, 무엇이 문제를 야기했으며 어떤 구성 요소에 주목할 필요가 있는지를 보여 줍니다.
In the data centre, organisation can realise tangible benefits from gaining visibility into where and when the network is busy. The ability to distinguish between critical business use and non-critical or recreational use, showing data in a form factor which they understand, helps to identify quickly which links need additional bandwidth and which can be reduced. This enables better control of IT budgets, allowing for future expansion through the analysis of growth patterns in application use.
Strictly speaking Network and Application Performance Monitoring is defined as giving visibility across LAN, WAN and data centre environments – including all tiers of the server and application environment, whether virtual or physical – as well as layers 1-7, while supporting rates from 1 to 10Gbps. The Network and Application Performance Monitoring solution developed by NETSCOUT extends this further by adding the ability to monitor and troubleshoot the wireless infrastructure and to support remote locations through a portable form factor if more in-depth visibility is needed – providing comprehensive visibility from the data centre to the user device.
Network and Application Performance Monitoring provides seven key benefits:
- End-to-end infrastructure visibility - it brings together key data points from network management systems (NMS) and application performance management systems, providing a single dashboard view and helping engineers monitor KPIs and track device performance and usage.
- Faster problem-solving – different IT teams can work together using common tools to resolve issues.
- Improved user experience – applications can exist in many different places and different infrastructure tiers, making it difficult to discover root cause of problems, but Network and Application Performance Monitoring enables teams to monitor all levels of the user experience and address issues before they become serious.
- Enhanced productivity – by speeding up MTTR (mean time to resolution), Network and Application Performance Monitoring reduces expensive downtime and improves overall quality of service.
- Cost savings – an Network and Application Performance Monitoring solution eliminates the need to use multiple tools to monitor the network and application infrastructure.
- Improved infrastructure optimisation – Network and Application Performance Monitoring enables engineers to identify poor performance and prioritise projects such as server upgrades, make the business case for approval and verify the results. It also provides data to support capacity planning.
- Better business understanding of IT - Network and Application Performance Monitoring helps executives understand the cost of running critical applications and the impact if they go offline, as well as the dependencies between critical applications and the supporting infrastructure.
네트워크 및 어플리케이션 성능 모니터링 시스템의 주요 기능
Network and Application Performance Monitoring provides performance data from both network and applications, including stream-to-disk packet storage, application response time analytics, IPFIX (NetFlow) and SNMP. A performance map enables users to watch over the entire enterprise network and isolate individual elements, transactions or even packets, either real time or back in time.
Data is shown on a single dashboard so everyone can see network and application performance metrics. Users can customise the dashboard to suit their individual responsibilities, but they can also see adjacent areas, so cross-functional teams can work together to solve problems and know that they are all seeing the same information.
If a link has errors or high utilisation, they can use a mouse to dive deeper into the transaction and find out why it might be introducing latency to all the upstream transactions. Every device in the path can be analysed (Figure 1). Simple logical workflows enable the user to isolate a problem down to the individual network element, transaction or even packet behind any performance event – real time or historic.
An Network and Application Performance Monitoring system stores all data flows, transactions and packets, so engineers can reconstruct events, use flow forensics for back-in-time identification of traffic on key links, and even play back VoIP calls and video streams. This is particularly useful for solving historic problems. It helps monitor SLAs and links to the cloud to ensure providers are meeting their SLAs, and assess where extra bandwidth might be needed by showing instant real-time bandwidth usage.
However you implement it, Network and Application Performance Monitoring is something we can expect to hear a lot more about in data centres in 2014.
*NETSCOUT 마켓 리서치, 2013
관련 IT 네트워킹 자원
For more information on OptiView XG and TruView, click here.